In Conversation With: Aisle of Dreams
Co-presented by ArtScience Museum and Singapore International Film Festival (SGIFF)
Gone Shopping is filmmaker Wee Li Lin’s bittersweet look at the intense relationship between Singaporeans and the space of shopping centres. When Li Lin made the film in the mid-2000s, Orchard Road was at its prime with ION Mall being constructed and the promise of more retail fantasies to be met. Our happiness as Singaporeans and the space of the shopping centres was, arguably, one and the same.
Today, Orchard road, the state of shopping centres and our relationship with them, has changed. Our panel will discuss what does the space of the shopping centre mean to us now and perhaps in the future. We will also look at the themes of fantasy, home, identity and individuality as explored in Gone Shopping.
• Wee Li Lin, Director of Gone Shopping
• Prof Chua Beng Huat, sociologist and author
• Sonya Nair, plays Renu Balakrishnan in Gone Shopping
• Julian Wong, Associate Editor at Rice Media
• Genevieve Loh, Senior Journalist at Channel NewsAsia
About 10TH ANNIVERSARY SCREENING OF GONE SHOPPING
1 – 6 Oct | 2.30pm & 5pm
7 Oct | 5.00pm
8 Oct | 11am, 2.30pm & 5pm
ArtScience Museum, Expression Gallery, Level 4
Rating: NC16: Some Coarse Language
Clara is a trophy wife ‘tai tai’ who one day forgets to take her medication and ends up lingering on for days in the welcoming walls of her favourite space – shopping centres. There she crosses paths with a childhood flame, a latchkey kid and a cosplaying young man, and realises that she is far from alone as a creature of the mall. Gone Shopping is a tale of love, loss and liberation in the only heart Singapore has ever known.
"Elegantly shot on HD, and with a semi-fairy-tale atmosphere, this is something small but fresh from Singapore’s tiny industry." - VARIETY
For details, please visit: sgiff.com/mbsxsgiff/gone-shopping
- A fully refundable fee of $5 is charged for each ticket booking.
- On the event, simply present the e-ticket at the Front-of-House desk. The refund will be processed electronically via Peatix. Otherwise, the ticket will be forfeited.
- Registration closes 7 October 2017, 12pm. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time.
- Should the refund be done before the credit cardcut-off date, no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund appear separately on the credit card statement.
- Should the refund be done after the credit card cut-off date, Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
- Peatix accepts VISA, Master, Paypal and AMEX.
For enquiries: +65 6509 4749 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The event description was updated. Diff#281675 2017-09-27 06:07:22
2:30 PM - 4:00 PM SGT
- ArtScience Museum, Expression Gallery, Level 4
Free Seating (Refundable) SOLD OUT $5.00
- Venue Address
- ArtScience Museum, Expression Gallery, Level 4 Singapore